Invest is a feature in both the Greenlight Max and Greenlight + Invest plans. In order to research stocks & ETFs and buy fractional shares with as little as $1, upgrade your plan to Greenlight + Invest or Greenlight Max.
Quick links for this article:
- How to set up your Invest Profile (Greenlight Invest & Greenlight Max plans only)
- How to transfer funds to Cash to Invest
- How to research and explore stocks and ETFs
- How to place a trade
- How to upgrade to a plan with Invest
Invest is a feature in both the Greenlight Max and Greenlight + Invest plans, but to unlock Invest the primary account holder for your Greenlight plan must complete their kids' Invest Profile.
- Open your Greenlight app
- Navigate to your child's dashboard.
- Click on the Investing tile.
- Follow the prompts to set up the profile.
- At the end of these question prompts, accept the invest Terms & Conditions.
- You and your child now have full access to Invest!
Once you've set up your Invest Profile and have accepted the Terms & Conditions, you and your child can begin researching stocks and ETFs. Before placing a trade, you must make sure there are funds within your child's Cash-to-Invest balance. To do this:
- Navigate to your child's dashboard and tap the "Investing" tile.
- Tap "Cash to Invest" at the top of their Invest dashboard.
- Tap "Move $ In"
- Select the amount of funds you'd like to move in.
- Select where you would like to transfer money "from."
- Tap "Move Money."
Greenlight + Invest and Greenlight Max users can purchase fractional shares of over 4,000 real stocks and ETFs. To start exploring these stocks and ETFs in your Invest dashboard:
- Navigate to your child's Invest dashboard by tapping their "Investing" tile.
- Scroll down to the section of the dashboard labeled "Investing Options."
- Tap either "Company Stocks" to explore stocks or "Exchange Traded Funds" to explore ETFs.
- Use the search bar to search for ticker symbols specific to a stock or ETF you'd like to research, or click directly through stocks and ETFs that appear by tapping the arrows next to their name.
All our stocks and ETFs include data on their past performance over time, financial details, and more to aid your research. Our "Learn Mode" (the purple lightbulb icon in the bottom right corner) can be turned on and off to hide and reveal helpful guidance on how to interpret the financial data.
- Within the Invest dashboard, navigate to the stock or ETF for which you'd like to place a trade.
- Tap the "Buy" button at the top of your screen.
- Select the amount of money you would like to invest. (You can also purchase a custom amount by tapping "Other" and inputting the exact amount you'd like to purchase. The minimum amount is $1!)
- Tap "Review Order."
- Tap "Place Order."
- If the primary Parent on the Greenlight account has placed the trade, the trade will be placed to be executed as soon as possible (this may be at the start of the next trading day, if the market is closed.)
- If your child has requested the trade, the primary parent on the account will need to approve the trade from their Parent Dashboard in order for the trade to be officially placed.
- Congratulations! You've made your first trade. Your child can now monitor their investments from within their Invest dashboard.
- Tap into your settings from the gear icon on the Parent Dashboard
- Scroll to the Profile & Account section
- Tap "Account"
- Choose the plan for you